Spain has started to get a serious reputation as a cannabis hotspot, to the point that smokers are now choosing to vacation there in order to try new samples. Alicante is no exception to this. It’s a beautiful region that is growing in popularity among stoners who want to sample canna-culture.
How do you get weed in Alicante? The best way to do it is to understand Spain’s cannabis laws, seek out a cannabis club ahead of time, and shop the club when you get there. It’s really that simple.
Regardless of where you stay in Spain, reading the information contained in this canna-tourism guide will help you get green without worrying about police intervention. Here’s what everyone should know before booking a trip.
How Do You Get Weed In Alicante?
You should try to get weed in Alicante the same way you get it in the rest of Spain: through cannabis clubs. Spain’s unique laws are less strict than many other countries nearby, but they still have loopholes that make sales (kind of) legal.
If a cannabis club isn’t available, then your next best bet is the old fashioned way: networking to find a dealer. Either way, if you want to try some Spanish weed, you will need to reach out to others one way or another.
Understanding Alicante’s Cannabis Laws
Before we get into the art of cannabis purchases in Alicante, it’s important to understand where the herb currently stands with local laws. Here’s a quick run-through of the laws every “green tourist” needs to know:
- Possession in public is technically illegal. Police won’t actually stop you unless you make it obvious and are making a racket about it, though.
- You cannot smoke weed in public anywhere in Spain. Though you might be tempted to light up a joint right outside a cannabis club, this is not a smart idea. Even if they wanted to, police can’t ignore this and will have to fine you if they catch you.
- Buying cannabis in public is a major no-no. This is the primary reason why cannabis is sold in private clubs. Public sales can get the buyer fined, and, in rare cases, the seller arrested.
- You do not need medical clearance to ingest weed. Unlike most parts of the United States, there is no medical tests or prescription card you need in order to try cannabis. It’s (sorta) legal here on a recreational level.
What Is A Cannabis Club?
A cannabis club is a specialized, private social club that offers clients a place to hang out, smoke weed, and maybe eat some tapas. Cannabis clubs act as dispensaries throughout Spain, primarily because Spain banned selling cannabis publicly through profit.
Cannabis use and possession are technically decriminalized, which makes it possible for cannabis clubs to exist. By offering cannabis to private club members, cannabis clubs are able to skirt the law regarding public sales.
What Do I Need In Order To Get Into A Cannabis Club?
Cannabis clubs are not exactly the easiest to get into, especially if you are a foreigner. That being said, most cannabis clubs will require the following from anyone who wants to buy weed from them:
- Identification Cards. You need some way to prove your over 18 to get weed. Passports and EU cards are both accepted.
- Annual Fees. Cannabis clubs all charge an annual membership fee for people who want to gain access. This is usually somewhere around 20 to 50 Euros, so don’t worry, it’s not too expensive.
- Membership. Yes, you have to be a member. If you aren’t a member, they won’t sell to you.
How Do I Get A Membership To A Cannabis Club?
This is where a lot of foresight and pre-planning come into play. Walking into a club and asking for membership generally does not work and may even result in you getting ejected from the venue.
In order to gain membership, the vast majority of clubs in Spain will require you to get an invitation through someone who is already a member. This is called sponsorship, and thankfully, it can be relatively easy to get–even if you don’t know anyone in Spain.
Many tourists are able to obtain a membership to a local cannabis club by just going on Facebook and asking club members directly. Some even get invitations by asking the club owners themselves. Though asking can help, you might still want to start asking around months in advance.
Do All Cannabis Clubs Accept Foreigners?
While most clubs are very open to having tourist members, the fact is that many clubs still prefer having Spanish citizens as members. If you get denied a membership, for this reason, don’t take it personally. It’s a liability issue.
Do All Cannabis Clubs Offer Invites?
Once again, this is a matter of exclusivity that varies greatly from club to club. Some are open to enrolling total strangers. Others aren’t. Some even have standards when it comes to a person’s status or appearance.
When poking around for memberships, you are going to have to expect a couple of rejections. That’s just the way the cannabis club world works in Spain, Alicante included. Don’t let a couple of rejections discourage you, though.
Tenacity really pays off when it comes to gaining entry into these tight-knit places. If you are smart about the way you approach people and have patience, chances are very high that you’ll find a place to accept you.
How Can I Maximize My Chances At Getting An Invite?
This is a tricky question, but these tips help:
- Reach out and ask others for invites. Being polite, explaining that you’re tourists, and asking nicely is a must.
- Don’t be afraid to use the internet. Social media and cannabis sites are a great place to start.
- Be understanding if you don’t get an invite. Many clubs will revoke members who invite the wrong crowd into their establishment. People are taking a risk on you here!
How To Find A Good Cannabis Club In Alicante
For the most part, Alicante cannabis clubs are very low key. Many aren’t even advertised online, so you will have to do some digging. That being said, these major names below are worth a shot if you’re willing to try.
Casa Green is the go-to dispensary in Alicante, and rightfully so. This venue offers indica, sativa, and hybrid strains at great prices. It also is a great place to light up, meet with friends, and enjoy great music. It’s good vibes all around!
Geared towards discerning cannabis aficionados who want to have a peaceful place to smoke, Oasis is located right in the heart of Alicante. This recreational spot has great strains, as well as some seriously tasty kush chips. Expect to enjoy your time here and meet great people!
Sibaritas BigDon is a club that makes no qualms about its love of ganja, and that’s a great thing. This social club is a must-see if you can get an invite. Between its artsy atmosphere and epic menu, it’s hard not to fall in love with this hotspot when you’re in town.
Want to kick back in an upscale, modern club? Baked is going to be a great option to pursue. This club prides itself on excellent customer service and a jaw-droppingly potent menu. They are a great place to go if you are open to paying a little extra for a great experience.
Another hip and happenin’ cannabis club, Green Sensation, is a more upscale take on your typical cannabis club. This social club is known for a great menu, a relaxed atmosphere, and also having a focus on hospitality.
Buenavista Club isn’t just a good cannabis club; it’s a great place to get a nice cup of coffee. The weed selection is decent here and has enough variety to suit every palate. This is a very private club, so if you want a place to have a deep conversation with friends, this is a great place to go.
It is worth noting that Buenavista Club is known for catering solely to Spaniards. If you are from another country, you may need to look elsewhere.
Green Medix is a great little “coffee shop” for people who enjoy a nice, clean smoke. They offer a great menu, an open mind to tourists, and a very friendly environment. If you want a high quality, safe place to light up, you’re going to enjoy this venue.
How To Behave At A Cannabis Club
Believe it or not, you can still be denied marijuana at a cannabis club based on how you act and how you dress. It’s important to respect the codes and rules each club puts into place while you’re there.
Much of being able to buy cannabis at a club includes following common sense. That said, these are the most important rules to remember when you attend a club:
- Understand that there are legal limits to how much you can buy. If you ask for more than the limit, you will get rejected for the excess. Do not push the budtender to “cut you a deal” when it comes to this. It can cost them their existence.
- Always go with an invitation and be prepared to pay membership. We know we said this before, but it needs to be said again. Walk-ins are not welcome. Please do not try this.
- Don’t be rowdy and practice good etiquette. Cannabis clubs do not take kindly to belligerent customers. Most clubs pride themselves on upscale clientele. Don’t be the fool who tries to “party up” and shout in a cannabis club!
- Dress nicely. Believe it or not, cannabis clubs usually have dress codes. If you wouldn’t wear it to an upscale nightclub or restaurant, don’t wear it to the club.
- Feel free to mingle! Cannabis clubs aren’t just dispensaries. They are places to network and meet new people. By reaching out to others, you might get invites to more exclusive clubs, meet new friends, and also get good smoking tips.
- Don’t pitch a fit if you get rejected by a club. Believe it or not, club owners talk more than you’d expect them to do. If you pitch a fit at one club, the word can get around to others about your behavior. This can result in being blacklisted from multiple clubs at once.
A good rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t be a bad customer. As long as you’re polite, you should be okay. When in doubt, refer to the cannabis club’s unique set of rules. Many have them at the door, and budtenders will always be happy to clue you in.
What Happens If You Can’t Get Into A Cannabis Club?
Admittedly, having tourists come into cannabis clubs isn’t always possible. Even with plenty of poking around and asking around, there is a chance you won’t get an invite by the time you arrive in Alicante.
That said, there are still certain methods you can use to score weed in the area. These aren’t as ideal as cannabis club attendance, but they still can (possibly) get you a fix. It’s worth noting that these methods are very legally dubious and may not offer up quality bud.
Alicante is a beautiful beachside city, and with beachside attractions comes beach vendors. It’s an open secret that venders often will have small amounts of green on their bodies. If you ask nicely, you might be able to buy some weed from them.
That being said, this isn’t a wise choice. You never know what the quality of the green you get will be, the prices are often higher, and there’s always a chance that you might get labeled a nuisance by locals. We recommend only sticking to licensed cannabis clubs in Alicante.
How To Remain Discreet While In Alicante
Once you have your weed, it’s important to remember to use it responsibly and discreetly. These final tips will help you enjoy your herb smartly and keep it as low key as possible:
- Smoke in cannabis clubs whenever possible. These clubs are not just established as dispensaries. They’re also designed to be safe spaces to smoke. If you don’t want to be fined or glared at, smoke in a cannabis club.
- Don’t wear cannabis-related shirts on your trip. Not only does this mark you as a foreigner, but it also gives police reason to fine you. Discretion is key here, and this is not discreet.
- If you want to consume cannabis in public, opt for edibles or Oil. They don’t have a smell, and you generally won’t get stopped for eating a cookie in public.
- Don’t make a scene outside a cannabis club. There have been cases where tourists decided to light up and start shouting right outside a cannabis club. This is a fast way to get fined.
- Obey local laws. Translation: don’t light up in public.
- If you smoke in your hotel room, make a point of keeping it ventilated. Many hotels and hostels have rules against smoking cannabis within their borders. Show some respect and keep a window open. Better yet, choose to smoke on the balcony!
- The 14 Best Places in Spain for Cannabis
- How to Get Weed in Barcelona – The 2020 Guide
- Best Cannabis Clubs in Spain
- Best 6 Cannabis Clubs in Costa Brava
- The 5 Best Cannabis Clubs in San Sebastian
- Best Four Cannabis Clubs in Madrid
- Best 4 Cannabis Clubs in Ibiza
- How to get Weed in Malaga
- Best Cannabis Clubs in Tenerife
- Best 5 Cannabis Clubs in Valencia
- Top 10 Cannabis Clubs in Lanzarote
- Can Tourists Smoke Weed in Spain
- Can You Fly With Weed in Spain
- Can You Buy Cannabis in Spain
- 10 Places Where You Can Smoke Weed in Spain
- How to Join a Cannabis Club in Spain: Complete Guide
- How to Buy Cannabis In Spain – The 2020 Edition
- Are There Weed Coffee Shops in Spain?